October 11, 1967

October 11, 1967

On this day, Nigeria’s Naval Chief, Rear Admiral Joseph Akinwale Wey, said in Ottawa, Canada that Nigeria’s Military Government was ready to accept advice about Ojukwu’s revolt but “first and foremost, it must be clearly understood that we do not tolerate any rebellion.” He confirmed at a press conference that the rebel capital of Enugu was in Federal hands. He said he hoped that fighting would soon end.
Admiral Wey was having talks on this day with Canadian Prime Minister, Lesier Pearson. His talks with the Prime Minister would possibly include a request for assistance through trade and technical cooperation.
On his arrival in Ottawa, Admiral Wey presented the Canadian Prime Minister with a personal letter from Major-General Yakubu Gowon, head of Nigeria’s Military Government.
Welcoming the Admiral, the Prime Minister expressed the hope that Nigeria’s civil strife would soon end with the union of all the Nigerian people.

OCTOBER 11, 1967

On this day, reports from the East Central State said that the rebel soldiers mutinied in their new hide out early on that day. The reports said that trouble broke out within the rank and file of the rebel group following misunderstanding on whether the fight with the Federal troops should continue or not.
The rebels were believed to have broken into two camps – one supporting Ojukwu and the reckless continuation of the war, and the other demanding surrender. At the time of the riot among the rebel soldiers, the whereabouts of the rebel leader, Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu were unknown. But a source said he was hiding from some of his men who wanted to get him.

OCTOBER 11, 1996

On this day, U.S. law enforcement officials arrested about 34 suspects on a major drug-trafficking network led primarily by some Nigerian women who smuggled heroin from Thailand to big cities in the American Midwest.
The drug ring supplied as much as 400 pounds, worth about $100 million, at retail prices of heroin a year to street gangs in Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee and Minneapolis.
Some of those arrested were charged with procuring large quantities of heroin in Southeast Asia; others were charged with making sales to street gangs. At the center of the network was Jumoke Kafayat Majekodunmi, known as Kafi, the owner of Women’s Affair Boutique in Chicago, who allegedly received the shipments from Asia and acted as the drug ring’s major U.S. distributor.
However, one key figure, Musiliu Balogun, who was identified by federal officials as the head of the operation, got away and is still at large, according to the Justice Department.
This would be the first time US federal authorities have claimed to have smashed a Nigerian drug-trafficking operation from the local level all the way back to the original sources of supply.
While announcing the arrests at a news conference, USA Attorney General, Janet Reno, said the 18-month investigation, called “Operation Global Sea,” had produced an unprecedented display of cooperation by law enforcement authorities in several nations.
Two separate undercover operations by federal law enforcement officials eventually led investigators to the alleged connection. More than 25,000 telephone calls were intercepted and investigators seized more than 120 pounds of heroin during the investigation, the Justice Department said.
According to the US federal law enforcement officials, three Nigerians handled bulk purchases of processed heroin in Bangkok and supplied several distribution networks.
Once they delivered the heroin to Kafi’s boutique in Chicago, she would allegedly sell the drug to Nigerian wholesalers based in the United States who in turn supplied street gangs in several cities, including the Black Gangster Disciples, Chicago’s largest gang.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: