May 1, 2003.
-Nigeria to import electricity from Congo.
-FG loses N4bn yearly to shift in destination inspection.
-Probe alleged fraud, Obasanjo writes INEC.
-Buhari insists on poll cancellation
-IGE: Keyamo asked me to implicate Omisore/Fryo.
-N’Assembly: PDP retains zoning formula
-Navy moves to end oil rig seizure.
MINISTER OF AVIATION Dr KEMA CHIKWE & CULTURE AND TOURISM COUNTERPART Ms BROMILLO BOMA JACK DURING THE FEDERAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING, ABUJA.
May 2 2003:
Abacha loot: Govt gains access details.
-FG Okays pay rise for Federal workers
- Something will have to give way – Obasanjo.
-Don’t assume office CNPP, ANPP tell members-elect
-FG, UNESCO move to promote women education
-Oil prices rise
-SARS death rate doubles
-Gbenga Adeboye ace comedian, dies
May 3 2003:
– Low turnout likely as Nigerians elect 990 lawmakers
- Electoral officers shot dead
– Bureau probes Anyim, 11 govs
May 4, 2003:
– State Assembly Poll: PDP maintains West sweep
- AD clears Lagos again
– Voters aparthy mars poll
– Party supporter’s ear chopped off in pockets of violence
- Deceased candidate “resurrects”
DAUGHTER OF LATE CHIEF BOLA IGE, Mrs FUNSHO ADEGBOLA WITH PROFESSOR EMERITUS JACOB ADE- AJAYI, DURING THE PRESENTATION OF A BOOK BY BOLA IGE THE POTRAIT OF A GIANT IN IBADAN
May 5, 2003
– NITEL: Pentascope may discontinue contact
– FEC may approve indigenous carriers for crude lifting
– PDP wins 21 states, ANPP 4
– PDP, NCP, Justice party one seat each
-Adesanya opposes call for Interim Govt.
-SARS scare in Port Harcourt
- No cause for alarm-Govt
-The race for N’Abba’s job begin.
-School to complete project of slain kid.
- Mbeki, Obasanjo, Muluzi mediate.
-Policeman falls from moving bus, dies
APGA PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE CHUKWU EMEKA OJUKWU HIS ANPP COUNTERPART Gen. MUHAMADU BUHARI & AANPP’S VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE Sen CHUBA OKADIGBO AT THE COURT OF APPEAL ABUJA.
May 6, 2003:
-Financial Crime: Obasanjo sends new bill to N’Assembly.
-FG Okays 10% pay rise for NITEL workers
-EU observers under security watch
- They violated their mandate-INEC
-M.D Yusufu takes Obasanjo, Buhari to tribunal.
May 7, 2003:
-Ex-NITEL MD sues FG over probe report
-No job Out in NITEL-PENTASCOPE
-EU chief observer leaves Nigeria
-AD to review ties with Afenifere
-ANPP, 15, others meet again
-Privatization: Only way out of economic problem.
-Reps reconvene; N864m pay-off tops discussion.
-Security beefed up in Warri
-Why Falcons visa requests failed -U.S. embassy.
-One dies, 10 sustain injuries as bus catches fire
May 8, 2003
-FG approves new passports for Nigerians
-ICPC Act: Judge threatens to arrest Anyim, Na’ Abba
-Senate overrides Obasanjo’s veto.
-State funeral for Sisulu as tributes flow.
-ANPP, CNPP begin mass protest
- It will be illegal, say police
-Ige: Police invited FBI-Witness
May 9, 2003
-SARS: Port health agency alerts immigration.
– Oil prices stable at $26
– Obasanjo, Shinkafi, Useni, others in crucial talks
– Be calm, Shagari tells US President
– Tinubu urges compromise
– We won’t enforce new ICPC Act-Agabi.
– Reps override president’s veto
– Poll: INEC begins probe of irregularities, employs 29 lawyers for legal battles
– Swearing in: PDP chiefs ask court to stop Ibori.
– Senate debates election petitions
– Ige: Aunt questions Fryo’s alibi
MEMBERS OF THE EU DELEGATION WITH THE INEC SECRETAY Dr HAKEEM BABA AHMED
May 10, 2003
– Lobbyists chase Tinubu to London.
– Aso Rock usher who became minister says: I still have not adjusted to ministerial job.
– Anenih, Afolabi may return to cabinet.
– SARS: Manhunt for 2 Nigerians
- Touching a door is enough to catch the virus
May 11, 2003
– N’Assembly top posts: PDP caucuses shop for candidates.
– Bola Ajibola to Buhari, others; Nigerians will resist you
– Obasanjo sets ‘exam’ for ministers.
– …. As lobbying for new cabinet positions heightens.
May 12, 2003
-FG awards N35bn road contracts in 4 years.
-NITEL, Globacom to co-fund SAT-3 project.
-Petitions’: Babalola may defend Obasanjo as PDP sends lawyers to tribunal.
-Oshiomhole petitions Obasanjo over Airways, FAAN.
May 13, 2003
-Lobbyists scramble for M-Tel board membership
-Mint to print new passports
-Electoral Act wrongly passed-Appeal Court
-ID card: Lagosians top list of 52m registrants.
-FG orders deportation of six Koreans.
-Experts list reasons for death of pilots, others
-Presidential Poll: Buhari’s camp claims IBB support
May 14, 2003:
-Senate battles president over-Auditor-General’s appointment
-Visa, Vigil, extortion worsens Nigerians’ woe British High Commission.
-Senate may override Obasanjo’s veto on budget.
-Three die as buildings collapse in Lagos.
-Abandoned projects dot federal varsities.
-Attempt to breakout strike will fail-ASUU
May 15, 2003
-FG approves pre-paid cards for NITEL land line
-37 ministries, agencies defy Presidency on adult queues.
-No SARS in Kano-Hospital boss.
-10 killed, palace burnt in Modakeke…. as transporters clash
-ICPC Act: Agabi wants Anyim, Na’Abba charged for contempt
-Change of old passports not automatic-immigration.